Thursday, August 18, 2011

Block BBQ

Block BBQ

Yesterday we hosted the first, hopefully annual neighborhood block BBQ!  I wanted to do something to get to know our neighbors, and I thought perhaps, going over and inviting myself in for a visit might be a little, out of taste, and so I thought, if Poplar Drive in Brandon can have a block BBQ, why can't Spruce.  With the idea in mind, I made up invitations, that I delivered around to the 19 other houses on our street. 

Then yesterday, I made a great big huge neon pink poster board to put up on the yield sign to remind people of the BBQ! 

I wondered if anyone was going to show up.  Then I talked to the next door neighbor and he said he was coming and bringing the three grandkids!  Yeah 5 people!  Hip Hip Hooray!  I began to mow the lawn in preparation, and as I was doing so, he came out and started mowing his on his nice ride on, (which I have to say I was a little jealous of, as he scooted around his yard!)  However as I kept walking in a square, I got thirsty, and went in for water.  As I was running water, our neighbour, opened our gate, and with his ride on came into our yard, I thought maybe he was going to do along our shared fenceline or something, and I'm like Raymond, Mr. H is in our yard with his ride on lawn mower...  anyway went back outside, and Raymond came out to move branches, I'd cut down so I didn't maim myself on trees!  Mr. H did our entire backyard in about 10-15 minutes!  Hip Hip Hooray for Mr. H!!!  Then he went on and did the neighbor's yard, explaining that the neighbor isn't feeling very well these days!  What a sweetheart!  I'll have to make him some muffins! 

Anywho, about 5:50PM we started to get things ready outside, and then Mr. H, his wife and 3 grandchildren arrived, followed by a few other people, followed by a few more! By the end we had 20 people including us in our yard, it was wonderful!  They were all like, "Oh this is such a wonderful idea!" "Come on over for coffee sometime!"  "We'll have to get together again!"  "We'll have to do this next year, person on the block who has lived here the longest has to host!"  It was wonderful, and by 8PM, they were all gone!   

What a wonderful way to meet the neighbors! 

1 comment: